The Abbey of Movilla was founded by St. Finnian in 540A.D. Malachy introduced Augustine monks in the 12th century, who remained until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1542. The remains of the monastery, mostly of the 15th century building, are close to the present church which was opened on the 7th June 1980 and extended in 2002.
The Church of Ireland at Movilla Abbey is part of the world wide Anglican Communion and a church of the Anglican Diocese of Down and Dromore. Most importantly, we are part of the universal Church and delighted to be able to share in mission and ministry with our Methodist brothers and sisters here at Movilla.
As a church we believe in a God that hears our prayers and petitions and as such we have prayer ministry available at the end of our morning services and a healing service on the 4th Sunday evening of each month